September 30, 2020

Claire S Lewis' "She's mine"

 

You can find this book here.

This is Lewis' first novel (though the publishing company has signed her up for a 3-book deal; so if you like her book, more will be seen of her in the future). 

The book follows Scarlett; who tries to solve the disappearance (or murder) of Katie, her charge, whilst being pinged as a top suspect at the same time. The plot in this way is rather simple and straightforward for psychological thrillers, though there are twists and turns I am not mentioning 😉

The narrative is very descriptive and dense. I found that there was a lot to follow; but unlike a lot of thrillers where I have no idea what may be coming, some of the twists and turns were more obvious to me. 

The character is something else. To be honest, I did not enjoy Scarlett. Whilst every character has flaws to make them more human, I found Scarlett more entitled than I would like her to be. Mix that with her lack of skill and knowledge as the amateur detective, and some of the weirder moments she encounters or puts herself in, and it may be hard for some readers to like her. 

In saying that, this book was not a bad read. I just disliked the character. And sometimes we need characters we don't like, or cannot completely relate to, so that we step outside our comfort zones when reading. 

I found the few twists I did not see coming, inventive. The ending of this book also was possibly the most impacting part, whilst also fuelling my dislike for the protagonist. Again, this is not a bad thing, because the book still left an impression on me. And that makes it something worth talking about. 

Or giving a shot at reading it.


Links for you


Read-a-likes in the Library:

Rose Carlyle

No comments:

Post a Comment