August 06, 2009

Still Alice

I cannot rave enough about this book! It is a long time since I read something with such impact.

Have you ever paused a moment to consider what it might be like to descend into dementia? Still Alice is the story of one woman’s journey through early onset Alzheimer’s. Alice is a 50year old psychology professor who, at first puts her forgetfulness and confusion, as most of us would, to ageing, stress, lack of sleep.

Although fictional, Still Alice is a truthful and respectful depiction of life with Alzheimer’s and has been endorsed by the US National Alzheimer’s Association. Author Lisa Genova has a Ph.D in neuroscience from Harvard and combines her scientific understandings , with lots of research and contact with people who have Alzheimer’s and their carers resulting in a unique, touching story told from Alice’s perspective. I think that is what really makes the book so powerful as you become Alice. An easy read which I managed in a weekend ( although some of my tears slowed me down from time to time!).

Reading Still Alice has increased my awareness and understanding to the realities of the illness, and had me questioning issues of self and identity. The book left me moved and inspired. I reckon it will stay with you long after you have closed the last page. Linda

1 comment:

  1. This book also has a rave review in this month's Good Reading.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete